With the increasing number of online security threats and cyberattacks, internet users are now more vulnerable than ever. As a result, more and more people have started using virtual private networks (VPNs) to keep their data private and secure.
If you’re a WordPress user who’s looking for a reliable VPN, you’ve come to the right place. In this article, we’ll reveal the 5 best VPN services for WordPress users.
But before we share the best VPN services, we’ll first explain the basics of a VPN service, why it’s important, and why WordPress users need to use a VPN service.
If you already know the benefits of VPNs, skip this section by clicking here.
Here’s what this guide will cover:
Table of Contents
What is a VPN and Why is It Important?
VPN is short for Virtual Private Network which is an encrypted connection over the internet from a device to a network. The encrypted connection adds an extra layer of security and privacy to a less secure public network, like the internet. In other words, a VPN ensures your web browsing experience is more secure and private.
VPNs are especially useful when you’re using the internet from a public WiFi hotspot. The main problem with the WiFi hotspots provided in cafes, airports, and hotels is that they often have poor router configurations and passwords. This makes it easier for cybercriminals and hackers to steal data from WiFi users.
VPN is the best protection you can get to protect your data and privacy on public WiFi networks. A reliable VPN service can also help you bypass censorship laws and content restrictions from different countries.
Why WordPress Users Need a VPN Service
WordPress powers over 30% of all sites on the internet. As a result, the platform is vulnerable to malware and attacks from hackers. According to research by the website security platform Sucuri, WordPress is the world’s leading infected website CMS, with WordPress infections rising from 74% in 2016 Q3 to 83% in 2017.
So how do you secure your WordPress site and ensure your privacy is intact? Aside from installing an SSL certificate to your site from your web hosting provider, here are two proactive steps you can take:
- Install a WordPress Security Plugin: The best way to secure your WordPress website is by installing a reliable WordPress security plugin. Here are 5 of the best WordPress security plugins you can opt for, but I’d personally recommend Sucuri.
- Use a VPN Service: Once your SSL is installed and you’ve activated a security plugin, you can add an extra layer of security and privacy to your website by choosing any of the 5 VPN services featured in this article. This way, you can be certain your data is protected and your activities are hidden behind multiple layers of encryption.
Now that you have a basic understanding of how a VPN works and its importance, let’s look at some of the top VPN services you can go for.
Top 5 VPN Services
NordVPN is a popular virtual private network that shields your internet activity from hackers and malware, protects you on public WiFi networks, and even blocks annoying ads. It’s a trusted online security solution that is used by over 1 million internet users worldwide and is recognized by some of the most influential tech sites and IT security specialists.
With NordVPN, you can be assured your data is always private. NordVPN uses double encryption aka Double VPN, a technology solution that hides your online activity behind several servers via a VPN tunnel. Double VPN can be extremely useful when a high level of online security and privacy is required, especially for WordPress users who are living in countries with a high level of internet censorship.
NordVPN also comes with the CyberSec feature which automatically blocks suspicious websites, so no malware or other cyber threats can infect your device.
Best yet, with one NordVPN account, you can secure up to 6 devices at the same time. NordVPN provides user-friendly applications on all major platforms, including Windows, MacOS, Android, iOS (both iPhone & iPad), Linux, Android TV, and more.
Here are some of the key benefits you’ll gain by using NordVPN:
- Data Security: You’ll stay 100% secure online under all circumstances with NordVPN’s military-grade encryption, CyberSec, and Double VPN.
- Hide Your IP: You can keep your data private and protect it from malicious users or ISPs by hiding your IP address.
- No Restrictions: You’ll be able to browse the web without restrictions, even when you’re traveling to a country with strict censorship or bandwidth limits.
- Secure Up to 6 Devices: You can secure up to 6 devices with a single NordVPN account, and feel safe on any device whether at home, in the office, or on the go.
NordVPN lets you choose from four pricing options. The 3-year plan is the most popular and by far the most economical where you’re billed $107.55 every 3 years which means you’ll just have to pay $2.99/month.
Here are NordVPN’s four pricing options:
- 1-month plan – $11.95/mo (billed $11.95 every month)
- 1-year plan – $6.99/mo (billed $83.88 every year)
- 2-year plan – $5.99/mo (billed $95.75 billed every 2 years)
- 3-year plan – $2.99/mo (billed $107.55 every 3 years) — Most popular (Save 75%)
IPVanish is a popular VPN service that provides a secure environment to users for everyday web use. With IPVanish, you can stop ISPs from spying on you and slowing down your speed based on your usage. IPVanish also protects you from hackers while you’re accessing the internet over public Wi-Fi locations.
IPVanish’s VPN network spans over 40,000 IPs on 1100+ servers in 60+ countries, giving you the ability to browse the web anonymously and access websites and media without any restrictions.
Here are some of the key benefits of using IPVanish:
- Stop Geo-targeting: Once you’re connected to IPVanish, your IP address is replaced with an IPVanish IP address. This means you’ll be able to prevent online marketers, search engines, and websites from analyzing and using your IP address or location.
- Bypass Censorship: You can avoid regional censorships and restrictions by accessing media and interactive websites from anywhere on the planet, on any device, period.
- Security on the go: Using IPVanish mobile apps, you can prevent your personal data (mobile banking, emails, social media, etc.) from being stolen by hackers.
- Use Public WiFi: With IPVanish, you can stay safe and protected while using public Wi-Fi. IPVanish ensures that all your traffic remains private and secure no matter what kind of network you’re using.
IPVanish offers 3 pricing options and all of them come with a 7-day money-back guarantee:
- 1-month plan – $10/mo (billed $10 every month)
- 3-month plan – $8.99/mo (billed $26.99 every 3 months)
- 1-year plan – $6.49/mo (billed $77.99 every year) — Most popular (Save 46%)
ExpressVPN is a high-speed, ultra-secure, and easy-to-use VPN service which has servers across 94 countries. With Express VPN, you can instantly unblock the sites and apps you love, and avoid being hacked or tracked, using powerful encryption.
Using ExpressVPN, you can stay anonymous online, keep everyone else out of your personal affairs, and prevent cybercrime and snooping.
Here are a few key benefits of using ExpressVPN:
- Fast VPN Speeds: ExpressVPN’s huge network of 2,000+ global VPN servers are optimized for fast connections, so you can browse the web without worrying about bandwidth throttling from your ISP.
- Easy Setup: ExpressVPN setup is fast and super easy. You can download, install, and connect to ExpressVPN with the push of a button.
- No restrictions: You can stream or download anything, from any of ExpressVPN’s servers, anywhere on Earth, with your IP address hidden from prying eyes.
- Serious Security: ExpressVPN will protect you from hacking and surveillance with 256-bit AES encryption, DNS/IPv6 leak protection, kill switch, and split tunneling.
All ExpressVPN plans are covered by a 100% money-back guarantee for your first 30 days of service. Here are the 3 pricing options:
- 1-month plan – $12.95/mo (billed $12.95 every month)
- 6-month plan – $9.99/mo (billed $59.95 every 6 months)
- 1-year plan – $8.32/mo (billed $99.95 every year) — Most popular (Save 35%)
StrongVPN is yet another popular VPN service that lets you bypass restrictions and censorship from hundreds of locations around the globe, all while staying private and secure.
StrongVPN has 650+ servers in 20+ countries and apps for all the major platforms. You can also connect up to 5 devices simultaneously.
StrongVPN offers two pricing plans. Both these plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee. Select a plan based on your budget and current needs:
- 1-month plan: $10/mo (billed every month)
- 1-year plan: $5.83/mo (billed $69.99 every 12 months) — Most popular (Save 42%)
5. CyberGhost VPN
CyberGhost VPN is a Romanian-based VPN service that secures and anonymizes the online presence of over 20 million users across the globe.
CyberGhost VPN will automatically protect you every time you are connecting to a new WiFi or internet connection. With CyberGhost VPN’s 256-AES bit technology encryption, you’ll never be vulnerable in a hotel, airport, or any other public space. You can connect up to 7 devices simultaneously.
CyberGhost VPN is available on all major platforms, including Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, and more.
Here are the key benefits of using CyberGhost VPN:
- Hide Your IP: Your original IP address will be replaced by an IP address from the CyberGhost network, making it impossible for websites to track your online activity.
- WiFi Protection: Using top-class 256-bit encryption technology, CyberGhost VPN protects your privacy and secures you online, even on public WiFis.
- Global Servers: CyberGhost has over 3000 VPN servers in over 60 countries and these numbers keep growing. This means you will be able to swap identity with one of those traffic servers and access otherwise geo-restricted content.
- Access Restricted Content: By connecting to the secure CyberGhost servers, you can access content from all over the world, without any geo-restrictions or censorship.
CyberGhost VPN Pricing
CyberGhost VPN offers 3 pricing plans. All plans come with a 45-day money-back guarantee:
- 1-month plan: $12.99/mo (billed $12.99 every month)
- 1-year plan: $6.49/mo (billed $77.88 every year)
- 2-year plan: $3.5/mo (billed $84 every 2 years) — Most popular (Save 73%)
So these are the 5 best VPN services we’d recommend for WordPress users. If we have missed out on your favorite VPN service, please feel free to mention the service in the comments section.
If you found this article useful, please share it with your followers on Twitter using the link below or share it on other social channels using the social bar on the left.
Editor’s Note: This article was first published on 1 November 2018 and has been updated regularly since then for relevance and comprehensiveness.
NordVPN is best VPN, I personally use this and it’s great. They mainly focus o their security feature.
Thank you for this post, well here is my take regarding this:
1. NordVPN – a safe and secure choice for WordPress users, with strong features and great customer service.
2. ExpressVPN – blazing-fast VPN speeds and excellent unblocking capabilities make it a favorite for WordPress users.
3. CyberGhost – an easy-to-use VPN with a large server network that is perfect for those looking to unblock content.
4. PrivateVPN – a smaller VPN provider that punches well above its weight in terms of features and performance.
5. TorGuard – well-rounded VPN with good speeds and strong security features, perfect for those who need extra protection online.